Corrugated metal is a popular material handy in various construction projects due to its durability and strength. It is commonly seen in roofing, siding, and fencing applications and has recently gained popularity in interior home design.
However, one challenge many homeowners face when working with corrugated metal is hanging items on its surface. Whether it is a picture frame, a shelf, or a piece of artwork, the uneven and textured surface of corrugated metal can make it a tricky material.
Here, we will guide you through hanging items on corrugated metal with ease and efficiency. From the necessary tools and materials to the step-by-step instructions, we will cover everything you need to know to hang things on corrugated metal successfully. So, if you want to add decorative or functional elements to your corrugated metal structures, read how to hang things on corrugated metal.
Tools And Materials Needed
- Corrugated metal sheet
- Hanging hardware (hooks, nails, or screws)
- Drill or hammer
- Measuring tape
- Pencil or marker
- Safety goggles
- Work gloves
3 Techniques How To Hang Things On Corrugated Metal?
Corrugated metal is a type of roofing or siding material made from sheets of metal that have been corrugated or folded into a series of parallel ridges and grooves. This design creates a stronger and more durable metal sheet and provides an aesthetically pleasing texture.
Corrugated metal is commonly handy in industrial and agricultural settings due to its strength and weather-resistant properties. Hanging things on corrugated metal can be challenging, but it can be done with the right tools and techniques.
One tip is to use metal studs or choose metal with metal studs when hanging heavier items, as this can provide better support and prevent damage to the corrugated metal. Here are some tips on how to hang things on corrugated metal:
- Use Self-Tapping Screws: These screws have a pointed end that allows them to drill into the metal without needing pre-drilling holes.
- Choose The Right Hardware: Depending on what you’re hanging, you may need different types of hardware, such as wall anchors or toggle bolts.
- Use A Drill With A Metal Bit: This will help you make clean, precise holes in the metal.
- Make Sure To Use A Level When Hanging Things: Corrugated metal can be uneven, so it’s important to ensure your items are straight.
Following these tips, you can hang things on corrugated metal and add personality to your space.
1.Hanging Something Very Light Weight
Using molly bolts or toggle bolts is the best choice for hanging something lightweight on the corrugated metal. This bolt type is perfect for fitting lightweight things like hooks and hangers. Molly bolts and toggle bolts are not like screws. It has a separate metal back with which you can tighten it with screws.
Since the thickness of corrugated metal is not much, there will be no joint of the screw with the metal. But the molly bolts will stick firmly to themselves. Here are some points to hanging something very lightweight:
- Mark the part where you want to put the hook hanger. And mark with a pen. Corrugated metal has two parts: high and low. It is not convenient to stick anything with the lower part. So arrange things like hook hangers with the upper part of corrugated metal.
- Then, make a hole in the corrugated metal using a drill.
- Then, insert the molly bolts or toggle bolts through the hook hanger into the hole in the wall.
- One part of the bolt will automatically attach to the other part of the metal.
- Now, tighten the bolt with a screwdriver. It will stick very hard.
- If, for any reason, you need to pull the screw out in the opposite direction to remove the molly bolts.
Currently, people widely use adhesive hooks to hang lightweight things. Although they are convenient to use, they are not suitable for corrugated metal. Because you have to glue to the walls, they are not suitable for bumpy surfaces.
2.Hanging Something Medium Weight
Corrugated metal can be made from various materials, including steel, aluminum, and copper. It is often chosen for its durability and resistance to weathering, making it ideal for use in harsh environments.
If you want to hang something of medium weight on corrugated metal, the best way is to use bolts. Because the bolt‘s carrying capacity is much higher, and it’s able to hold anything against the wall in a very tight way. You can use bolts for hanging TVs, wall paint, watches, etc. Here’s how to do it:
- To hang something with bolts, mark the corrugated metal in parallel.
- Then, determine the place to drill on the upper sides of the corrugated metal.
- Then, drill a hole according to the size of the bolt. Usually, the carrying capacity of each bolt varies. So, depending on the weight, choose the bolt accordingly.
- Now, insert the bolt through the thing you want to hang, like a hanger or anchor.
- Then, go to the other side of the wall and tighten the bolts with a nut.
By following these steps and using the recommended techniques, you can hang items on corrugated metal surfaces easily and confidently.
3.Hanging Something Heavy Weight
If you want to attach something very heavy to corrugated metal walls, you have to use a French Cleat. Air conditioning is one of the heaviest things. This heavy object needs strong support to attach to the metal wall. That is because the thickness of corrugated metal is not very strong for holding heavy metal.
So it would be best if you had extra support here so that the weight does not spread within certain parts but spreads everywhere. The French Cleat thing is hard to hear, but it is a very simple tool in practice. French Cleat can be made of either wood or metal. You have to place it on the back of the wall. And the bolts have to be attached to the back, not only to the wall but also to the French Cleat. Here’s how to do it:
- To do this, draw a parallel straight line to the part of the corrugated metal wall where you want to hang the heavy-weight object.
- Then, mark the part of the line where you want to bolt.
- Use a drill to drill holes in the parts.
- Then, take a piece of French Cleat and make a hole of equal size at the same distance as the wall.
- Now, take the anchors and insert the bolts through them into the wall.
- Go to the other side of the wall and tighten the bolts through the holes of the French Cleat.
- It is capable of holding any weight. Many users use French Cleat on both sides of corrugated metal walls. That makes the bond stronger.
What Not To Do
Hanging things on corrugated metal can be tricky due to its uneven surface and the challenge of finding the exact height to hang your items. One option is to use a wooden board as a base, providing a more stable and even surface for hanging. Here are some points that you should not do when hanging a metal corrugated:
- Avoid using regular nails or screws directly on the corrugated metal.
- Do not hang heavy objects without proper support.
- Avoid using adhesive hooks or tapes on corrugated metal surfaces.
- Do not drill or cut into the corrugated metal without proper tools and expertise.
- Avoid using wire or thin strings as they may not provide sufficient support.
- Do not disregard the thickness and strength of the corrugated metal.
Tips For Drilling Into Corrugated Metal Without Damaging The Material
Corrugated metal is a versatile and durable material used in various applications, from roofing to siding to fencing. It is made by rolling thin metal sheets into a wave-like pattern, creating channels that increase its strength and stability.
Drilling into corrugated metal can be tricky, as the material can bend or warp if not handled properly. Be sure to consider the height you want your item to hang and take measurements accordingly. Here are some tips to help you drill into corrugated metal without damaging the material:
- Use A Sharp Drill Bit: A dull drill bit can cause the metal to warp or bend, so make sure your drill bit is sharp before drilling.
- Use A Low RPM Setting: Using a high RPM setting can cause the metal to heat up and warp, so it’s better to use a low RPM setting and take your time while drilling.
- Use A Clamp: To prevent the metal from moving or bending while drilling, use a clamp to hold it in place.
- Start With A Small Hole: Starting with a smaller hole and gradually increasing the size can help prevent the metal from warping or bending.
Following these tips, you can successfully drill into corrugated metal without damaging the material.
How To Hang Metal Wall Art On Brick
Hanging metal wall art on corrugated metal can be tricky, but with the right tools and techniques, you can get the job done. Use a post and bracket system, which involves attaching a post to the corrugated metal and then attaching the item to the post. When hanging on the corrugated metal part of a drywall structure, it may be necessary to use plaster or other adhesives for added support. Here are some steps to help you hang your metal wall art securely:
- Start by gathering your materials. You will need a drill, drill bits, screws or anchors, a level, and a tape measure.
- Measure and mark the desired location for your metal wall art. Use a tape measure to ensure that your marks are accurate.
- Use a level to ensure your marks are straight and even.
- If you’re hanging the artwork directly on the corrugated metal, use self-drilling screws or specialized fasteners designed for this purpose. These screws have specific designs to penetrate the metal without causing damage.
- Use masonry screws or anchors to hang the artwork on brick or another surface behind the corrugated metal. These will provide a secure hold in the brick.
- Carefully drill pilot holes at your marked locations. Make sure to choose a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the diameter of your screws or anchors.
- Attach your metal wall art using the appropriate screws or anchors. Make sure they are tightened securely.
- Step back and admire your handiwork! Your metal wall art should now be securely hung on your corrugated metal.
Remember always to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and take necessary safety precautions when working with power tools.
How To Hang Metal Wall Art Without Hooks Or Nails
Attach one side of the magnetic strip to the back of your artwork and the other to the corrugated metal surface. This will allow you to easily remove and reposition your artwork as needed without causing any damage. Another option is to use Velcro tape to hang your metal wall art on corrugated metal.
- Use Adhesive Hooks: Adhesive hooks are a great option for hanging lightweight metal wall art on corrugated metal. Clean the surface of the metal, peel off the backing of the adhesive hook, and press it firmly onto the desired location.
- Utilize Magnetic Strips: If your metal wall art has a magnetic backing, you can use magnetic strips to hang it on corrugated metal.
- Try Velcro Tape: Cut small pieces of both the hook and loop sides of the Velcro tape and attach them to your artwork and the desired location on the corrugated metal. Press them firmly together to create a secure bond. This method is especially useful if you want to have the flexibility of removing and reattaching your artwork without leaving any marks or holes.
- Consider Using Wire Or Picture Hanging Kits: For heavier metal wall art pieces, you may need to use wire or picture hanging kits specifically designed for this purpose. Attach one end of the wire or hanging kit to your artwork and secure it tightly. Then, find a suitable spot on the corrugated metal where you can anchor or hang the other end, such as a protruding screw or nail. This method provides extra stability and support for heavier pieces.
Ideas For Creative Uses Of Corrugated Metal In Home Decor And DIY Projects
Corrugated metal is a type of building material made up of sheets of metal that have been shaped into alternating ridges and grooves. This creates a pattern that makes the metal stronger and more durable than flat metal sheets. Corrugated metal is versatile and can add a unique touch to your home decor and DIY projects. Here are some creative ideas for using corrugated metal in your home:
- Accent Wall: Use corrugated metal as an accent wall in a living room or bedroom to add texture and visual interest.
- Headboard: Create a rustic headboard by covering it with corrugated metal sheets.
- Kitchen Backsplash: Add an industrial chic look to your kitchen by using corrugated metal as a backsplash.
- Planter Boxes: Build planter boxes out of corrugated metal for a modern, industrial look in your garden.
- Ceiling Tiles: Replace traditional ceiling tiles with corrugated metal panels for an unexpected twist.
These are just a few ideas for using corrugated metal in your home decor and DIY projects. Additionally, if you are hanging metal artworks or metal letters, it is important to consider the types of metals involved. Cathodic metals should not come into direct contact with anodic metals, as this can cause galvanic corrosion. By considering these factors and using the right techniques and materials, you can successfully hang items on corrugated metal while preserving its integrity.
Safety Precautions When Working With Corrugated Metal
Corrugated metal can be made from various metals, including steel, aluminum, and copper, and comes in various thicknesses and finishes. Its durability, low maintenance requirements, and ability to withstand harsh weather conditions make it a popular choice for construction projects. Working with corrugated metal can be dangerous if you do not take proper safety precautions. Here are some important safety measures to keep in mind when working with corrugated metal:
- Wear Protective Gear: This includes gloves, eye protection, and a face mask to prevent inhalation of metal dust.
- Use Proper Tools: Use tools designed for cutting and manipulating metal, such as tin snips or shears, to avoid injuries from sharp edges.
- Secure The Material: Ensure the corrugated metal is properly secured before beginning any work to prevent it from shifting or falling.
- Be Aware Of Surroundings: Always be aware of your surroundings and potential hazards on the job site, such as electrical wires or other workers.
Following these safety precautions can help ensure a safe work environment with corrugated metal.
How Can I Ensure My Items Stay In Place While Hanging Them On The Metal?
There are a few key steps to follow when hanging things on corrugated metal. First, determine the type of sheet metal you are working with, as this will affect your method. Wood strips can be attached using brackets and screws for corrugated metal siding. For hanging heavier items such as metal signs, strong magnets can secure them in place. There are a few methods you can use to ensure that your items stay in place while you’re hanging them on the metal:
- Clamps: One of the most common ways to secure your items to the metal is by using clamps. Make sure to clamp the item tightly and make sure that the clamps are tight.
- Wrapping A Rope Around The Item: Another way to secure an item to the metal is by wrapping a rope around it. Make sure the rope is tight and makes good contact with the metal.
- Tying a Knot: Another popular method is to tie a knot in the rope, ensuring it’s tight enough to hold the item.
- Using 3M Double Stick Tape, Spackle, Gorilla Glue Gel, or E6000: If you need extra support, you can use adhesives like 3M Double Stick Tape, Spackle, Gorilla Glue Gel, or E6000.
Hanging things on corrugated metal can seem daunting, but it can be done easily and securely with the right tools and techniques. Whether you’re looking to hang decorations or organize tools, there are options available that will work for your specific needs.
Hanging things on corrugated metal can be a headache if you don’t know how. Whether you’re a professional contractor, it’s important to have a solid understanding of how to hang things on corrugated metal to achieve safe and long-lasting results. So, next time you need to hang something on your corrugated metal surfaces, remember these tips and techniques for a successful project.
How Long Will Corrugated Steel Last?
Corrugated steel can last for several decades, with an average lifespan of 40 to 70 years, depending on various factors such as the quality of the steel, climate conditions, and proper maintenance.
Is Corrugated Metal Steel Or Aluminum?
Corrugated metal can be made from both steel and aluminum. Steel corrugated metal is commonly used in construction and industrial applications due to its strength and durability.
Is Corrugated Metal Strong?
Yes, corrugated metal is strong. It is made by pressing metal sheets into a wave-like pattern, increasing its strength and rigidity.
What Are Some Tips For Using Spray Adhesive To Hold Items Securely To The Metal?
When using spray adhesive to hold items securely to metal, the best practice is to spray the adhesive on one side of the item and then press it against the corrugated metal. This will ensure the adhesive penetrates the surface.
What Type Of Tools Do I Need To Hang Things On Corrugated Metal?
To hang anything on corrugated metal, you’ll need the following tools:
Hammer and saw
I am passionate about tools and electric work. I love finding new tools and experimenting with them.